Sunday, April 1, 2012

Performance Poetry Night 2

If I have strange dreams over the next few days involving dark figures shouting 'Terrorism' or a Goth trying to cleanse me with an industrial vacuum cleaner or a man trying to unlock the secrets of a Cornish pasty, telepathically, possibly using the vibration of sound, I'll have to blame RichMix's avant-garde evening Maintenant Camarade Poetry.

Maybe I'm not equipped to comment on last night's performances. But I do have a question. Does avant-garde mean by definition these days, introspective art? Not art for the sake of art but art for the sake of the artist? And is what used to be avant-garde now considered alternative - in a more liberal age? I think experiment in sound/art is interesting if it is part of something, a progression that leads to a new form of expression. My personal preference is art that wants to say something rather than art that just wants to shock. But I enjoyed last night. It's fun not knowing what's going to happen next.

Before the performances there was an exhibition of visual poetry. I thought this one was cool. It's by Stephen Nelson. I've just found his website Afterlights with more of his work.



4 comments:

  1. "Not art for the sake of art but art for the sake of the artist" - great line. It's when art crosses this line, from self-exploration to self-indulgence, that it often becomes dull as all hell (and often needs to resort to shock tactics in an attempt to recapture attentions).

    That said, there's something strangely appealing about the industrial vacuum cleaner cleansing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Matt. The guy with the vacuum cleaner was pretty comical. Most of the performances had a comical touch and there was a lot of sniggering throughout. Some probably out of fear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fiona! Found you through your Couch poem on Squawk Back (loved the poem). I love your questions!!! These are very relevant questions for the poets of our time.

    I agree with you in that "My personal preference is art that wants to say something rather than art that just wants to shock." Couldn't have said it better. I think the names we give things often shift and dance without a necessarily deep meaning. To me, poetry and art should seek to explore and define our current age while providing hope or a shove toward thinking and choosing for the future. Writing (and other forms of art) should always have the ability to exist beyond their creator as meaningful entities.

    Thanks! And, blessings~Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marissa
    Thank you so much for your comment. I agree and I think your last sentence sums it up really well!
    Really like your blog post on the 99%.
    Thanks!
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete